UWP with C++/Cx library builds slow

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:02 AM
Edited Sep 9, 2016 at 7:04 AM
Hi. I am developing a WinRT wrapper of my company's c++ library on UWP using C++/Cx. Lib size is arround 30MB. To test it I've created a test app and unit tests to see if it works. But during this development I faced a really bad perfomance of my project building.

In my solution I have a separate projects for each part but looks like the most of the compilation time takes to build a test application (or unit test app). The bad thing is that even if I made a few changes in Xaml (or no changes at all) in my test app, the build time takes about 2 minutes. Bin/obj folders of the app is more than 100MB size even for a really small test app.

As far as I know windows runtime component cannot be build to a separate library aside from the project that imports it. So each time when I try to build my app it pulls the native lib and wrapper, and makes some magic which takes a while in a building time.
Is there any way how I can reduce the building time? Or at least build a complete part (the wrapper) separatly from the test app and than include it there?

I have already tried to set one output directory for each projects in the solution, set the references property CopyLocal to False, but it doesn't work for me as expected. I also upgraded my machine with ssd and adittional ram, but it also not a solution in my case.

Sorry for my English, its not my native language.
Sep 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM
The key was to disable native toolchain in the project build properties.
It reduces compilation time from 180 seconds to 15.
God bless Native toolchain!!